the orange yarn, please

Orange is too cool for shoes.

January 27, 2005

the secret pals questionnaire & a thank you

i'd like to dedicate this post to my secret pal :)

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm not a yarn snob, and I think every yarn has its purpose. The Red Heart was great for the Hallowig! But I wouldn't use it on my Kyoto sweater, just because I don't like the feel of it on my arms.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No. I'd like to learn to spin, though.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Uh, sulfa drugs, but I doubt you'd want to send me any of those anyway :)

4. How long have you been knitting?
Since Fall 2003.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, but if I did, it'd be filled with books on knitting, cooking, sewing and homeschooling.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love the smell of lavender, and I use Moonlit Path stuff from Bath & Body Works.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yeah! White chocolate is my favorite, and anything peanut buttery :)

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm currently fascinated with the stitch marker making hobby.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like anything from classical to contemporary, but I don't like C&W. I grew up listening to it and was horrified when I discovered that fact to be true. I also have a slight aversion to men yelling their lyrics. I can indeed listen to MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
I've been in love with orange since I was little. I even had an orange "mood lipstick" that would change colors depending on your mood. Mine was always . . . orange. I like any color except red and yellow. They belong on a hamburger if you ask me. Pastels are kind of pukey, too.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
One hubby, two kiddos, one pee-happy kitty, and a green anole are my happy housemates.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Uh, what? I wish I knew. I kind of like things they way they are now, although I wish we lived in a big old farmhouse in a small town *insert John Cougar Mellencamp song here*

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love ribbon yarns and sock yarns. For worsted weight, I am a fan of Lamb's Pride worsted. I love how the thickness varies.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I never met a fiber I didn't like (except for that one bran muffin I had).

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
SOCKS!!!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
See #15. But also, I really love making felted handbags. I'm a purse hound.

17. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks, the Kyoto sweater, and I'm really trying to cast on for the Lucy bag and Ene's scarf (from Scarf Style) but I can't commit to four WIPs - I'd go insane.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I made one for my daughter. I think they'll go the way of the eyelash scarf.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It depends on the project.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
They all serve a purpose, but bamboo is a girl's best friend.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yeah, baby!

22. How did you learn to knit?
I took a class at a lys with my mom. We had so much fun!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
It just turned one year old! Happy Birthday, forgotten scarf!

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
i like birds in general, and our family likes to go bird watching. but i guess my favorite animal would be a turtle.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
of course christmas is tons of fun and makes me feel very warm inside, but i really love valentine's day.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
i collect cookbooks and dust bunnies :)

well, secret pal, i hope this gives you some insight to the non-mysterious being that is me. (if you're one of my family or friends reading this who has no idea what "secret pals" are, it's like a mystery gift exchange thing that knit bloggers sometimes do.)

A NOTE OF THANKS
everyone was so helpful and considerate with their kitty cat advice. i really appreciate all of y'all taking the time to post some tips. i'll be taking cloudy to the vet to see what's up. in the meantime an update:

she hasn't gone wee wee or boom boom in her current favored location since i steamed the area. and thanks to the recent savory meals i've made, the scent of steamed cat pee is dissipating. she's currently cuddled up with marah, watching tv. which reminds me, we have to get school started! thanks again.